Instagram: How it Works
Do you have an iPhone or iPod Touch? Do you take photos with your Apple iOS device? Then likely you’ve heard of Instagram. We’re guessing that you’ve heard of it but aren’t actually using it. (Of course we could be wrong – you could be one of the 15 million people who have started using this app since October 2010.) Well, whether you’re a new user, a dabbler, or simply curious about this photography app that is taking the Apple world by storm, read on to learn more about the nuts and bolts of this app.
What Is Instagram?
Instagram bills itself as a “fast, beautiful, fun way to share your life with friends through a series of pictures”. What this really means is that with the Instagram app, you can apply filters to your digital photos to change the way they look and feel. Yes, similar to the filters that people used to use before the advent of the digital camera.
What has made this free app so compelling and dare we say addictive is the community of Instagram users. Using the Instagram app and instagr.am website, you can share your photos with others.
How Does It Work?
It is surprisingly simple:
- Download the Instagram App from the iTunes Store (the app is free).
- Sign in – enter some basic information and if you want to configure your Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Tumblr, Posterous, and Foursquare credentials.
- Take a photo with your iPhone or iPod Touch.
- Apply a filter, change the border, alter the lighting effects and save your photo. You do all this with a few simple finger taps.
- Give your photo a caption.
- Depending on your settings, this photo will then be updated instantly to your various social media accounts. You can also create an email list and have your photo automatically emailed to the recipients.
That’s it! Using the app you can see what is popular on Instagram, browser other people’s photos, and essentially spend a lot of time taking photos and playing with them.
People will look at your photos and if they like what they see, the can “Like” it. The more “Likes” your photo has, the higher chance it has of making it to the Popular list.
Here are a few basic facts about this photo company/idea/social media platform/app:
- Launched in the Apple App Store on Oct. 6, 2010.
- By December 2010, Instagram had 1 million registered users.
- By June 2011, Instagram had 5 million registered users.
- By September 2011, Instagram had 10 million registered users.
- 150 million photos were uploaded by August 2011.
- Created and founded by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger.
- There are no plans currently for an android version.
- Instagram is not compatible with the iPad. There is an Instagram gallery app for the iPad.
Want to Know More About Instagram?
Check out these links to learn more about Instagram: